As we know that the assembly elections were held in Himachal Pradesh and in this election the Congress party has got the majority to form the government.
In such a situation, the Congress party has appointed Sukhwinder Singh Sukhu as the new Chief Minister of Himachal Pradesh.
The childhood of Chief Minister Sukhwinder Singh Sukhu was very simple. Let us know some untouched aspects of Shri Sukhu.
Early Life & Family of Sukhwinder Singh Sukhu
Sukhwinder Singh Sukhu was born on 26 March 1964 in Nadaun, Hamirpur district of Himachal Pradesh. His father, Shri Rashil Singh, was a driver in the Himachal Road Transport Corporation. While his mother Sansar Devi is a housewife.
Sukhwinder Singh is the second child among the four children of his parents. His elder brother Rajeev Singh is retired from the army. Sukhwinder Singh also has two younger sisters, who are married.
Sukhwinder Singh’s early life was spent in great difficulties. He had completed his studies by selling milk and newspapers.
He even worked as a watchman to continue his further studies. Apart from this, Sukhwinder also ran PCOS in the 90s for his studies and to help the family financially.
Sukhwinder Singh was married to Kamlesh Thakur on 11 June 1998. The couple has two daughters among their two children. Both his daughters are studying from Delhi University.
Education of Sukhwinder Singh Sukhu
Sukhwinder Singh completed his early education from Government High School Kasumpati, Shimla.
Thereafter, he pursued a law degree from Government Degree College, Sanjauli. After graduation, he also worked as a watchman in the Electricity Department for further studies.
Career of Sukhwinder Singh Sukhu
- Sukhwinder Singh Sukhu started his political career at the age of 17 by joining the NSUI, the student wing of the Congress, during his college days.
- During that time he was elected Class Representative and General Secretary of Student Center Association at Sanjauli College, Shimla.
- After this, the President of the Student Central Association was elected in Government College Sanjauli. From there Sukhwinder Singh emerged as a strong youth leader.
- In the year 1988, he became the State President of National Students Union of India (NSUI). He remained on this post till the year 1995. Subsequently, he was made the head of the party’s State Youth Congress.
- In his student politics itself, Sukhwinder had strengthened his hold so much that, from 1998 to 2008, he held the post of Youth Congress President for 10 consecutive years. After this, in the year 2008, he was made the General Secretary of State Congress.
- Earlier, he had won the municipal elections in Shimla twice between the years 1992 and 2002. In the year 2003, Sukhwinder Singh Sukhu contested his first assembly election from Nadaun and reached the assembly after winning.
- He was also a councilor of Shimla Municipal Corporation twice. He was once again elected in the 2007 elections in which he won again. But after this, he had to face defeat in the 2012 elections. In the elections held in the year 2017, he returned and won once again.
- Despite becoming an MLA, Sukhwinder Singh Sukhu never took a police guard or a government vehicle. He used to travel in his Alto car most of the time. Even in the Vidhansabha, he has been coming every time by Alto car.
- Significantly, after winning the Himachal Pradesh assembly elections in the year 2022, he had said, “He is not in the race for the post of Chief Minister. Hence his selection as the Chief Minister by the party has taken everyone by surprise.
Became Chief Minister of Himachal Pradesh
Recently, in the November 2022 Himachal Pradesh assembly elections, Sukhwinder Singh won the elections from the Sukhu assembly constituency.
Subsequently, he was made the new CM of Himachal Pradesh. Whereas, Mukesh Agnihotri has been made the new Deputy Chief Minister of the state.
On 10 December 2022, Chhattisgarh Chief Minister and Congress leader Bhupesh Baghel announced the appointment of Sukhwinder Singh Sukhu as the new CM of Himachal Pradesh, after a meeting of elected Congress MLAs in the hill state capital Shimla.
After which, Sukhwinder Singh took oath as Chief Minister the next day, on 11 December 2022, Sunday morning.
After becoming the Chief Minister, Sukhwinder Singh decided to implement the old pension system in the state. So that the government employee living in the state can get pension according to the old pension system.
After he was chosen as the Chief Minister by the party high officials, he said, “I was never in the race for any post and will not be in future.
I am a worker of Congress party. I have never had any desire for any position. The party has given me a lot and it is my duty to follow the orders of the party. ,
Significantly, in the assembly elections held in Himachal Pradesh, the Congress party won 40 out of 68 assembly seats.
Whereas, the Bharatiya Janata Party won only 25 seats. After which there was a tussle between the MLAs regarding the appointment of the Chief Minister in Himachal Pradesh.
For your information, let us tell you that Sukhwinder Singh Sukhu has so far contested five assembly elections in which he won four times.
However, he has never been a minister in the state, and has never held any other position such as Chief Parliamentary Secretary (CPS) or chairman of a board or corporation.
Political Career of Sukhwinder Singh Sukhu
- Sukhwinder started his political career with the NSUI, the student wing of the Congress.
- Elected Class Representative and General Secretary of Student Center Association at Sanjauli College, Shimla.
- After this, he was elected as the President of the Student Central Association in Government College Sanjauli.
- Took over the post of State President of NSUI in the year 1988.
- In 1995, he became the State General Secretary of Congress.
- He was the President of Youth Congress for 10 consecutive years from 1998 to 2008.
- In the year 2008, he was made the General Secretary of State Congress.
- Took over the post of Himachal Pradesh Congress President in the year 2013.
- He was also a councilor of Shimla Municipal Corporation twice.
- In the year 2003, after winning the first assembly elections, he reached the assembly. After this, in 2007, 2017 and now in 2022, he became MLA by winning from the assembly constituency.
- Took oath as the new Chief Minister of Himachal Pradesh on 11 December 2022.
Sukhwinder Singh Sukhu net worth & House
If we talk about the net worth of Sukhwinder Singh Sukhu, then at present his net worth of is said to be around ₹ 7 crore 20 lakhs.
While his monthly salary as a Chief Minister is ₹3 lakh. Apart from this, other government allowances will also be provided to them.